Identity Theft Protection for Tax Preparation Time
With rampant identity theft the past 3 years, tax time
brings a certain added uneasiness to most consumers. With
an estimated 10,000 people illegally preparing tax returns
in California alone, it pays to be extra diligent in your
"If a tax preparer asks questions that do
not relate to income or allowable expenses,
consumers should beware."
Here's a guideline to use when evaluating your new
potential tax preparer:
- How will you ensure my private information is protected?
- How will you save my private information?
- Will you share my private information with marketers?
- Do you outsource your work to others who aren't bonded?
Although, individual state requirements may vary across
America, generally the following groups are legally
recognized as in California:
- CTEC Registered Tax Preparer (CRTPs)
- Certified Public Accountants (CPAs)
- Enrolled Agents (EAs)
So, our tip for today is be aggressive in your selection
and questioning process for who will prepare your tax
return. Remember, your tax return includes your full
social security number, mailing address, & highly
sensitive earnings information which even a novice
identity thief can use to wreck your financial future.